Put a unique spin on a classic game with this painted rock tic tac toe set. Super cute and fun for kids of all ages, this DIY game is perfect for outdoor play and when you’re on the go. And it’s a great way to upgrade and upcycle your kids’ rock collection!
Ever Harc is reader supported, therefore, this post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn a small commission when you click on these affiliate links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
Taking Painted Rocks To The Next Level
My mother-in-law first introduced us to the fine art of rock painting, and we were instantly hooked. Any opportunity to get creative with found objects or things that we already have on hand is a winner in my book. And our girls have worked tirelessly through the years curating their rock collection so it’s a perfect pastime for our family.
My MIL even created a game with the painted rocks. It’s basically an Easter egg hunt. She hides the painted rocks and the girls search them out.
So simple and yet the kids enjoy the heck out of it. And the adults get to sit back, relax and enjoy nice cold beverages while the kids search high and low for all of the hidden rocks.
Now that’s a win-win situation, for sure.
This hide-and-seek activity with rocks got me thinking – what else can we do with these painted rocks?
Enter painted rock tic tac toe.
Painted Rock Tic Tac Toe Is a Great Travel Game
One of the nice things about this painted rock tic tac toe set is that the bag used to house the rocks/game pieces also doubles as the playing board. Because it’s compact and self-contained, it’s perfect for travel.
I like to keep a set in my vehicle for when we need to bust boredom at appointments, restaurants or other functions where kids are forced to exercise patience.
This is also a great game to take on picnics or camping trips.
Give The Gift of Painted Rock Tic Tac Toe
A painted rock tic tac toe set also makes a really fun, unique gift for kids. It’s incredibly adorable as an Easter basket filler or stocking stuffer.
Because it is such an easy, low-cost DIY, painted rock tic tac toe would be a great craft for birthday parties. Each kid could make their own homemade tic tac toe set for them to take with them as a party keepsake. So you could easily have a party activity that doubles as the goodie bag. Not bad for some rocks!
Supplies For Painted Rock Tic Tac Toe
It takes just a few simple supplies to create your own painted rock tic tac toe set:
- Rocks – I used some river rocks that we had accumulated over time. If you don’t have a ready supply of rocks on hand, they do sell rocks specifically for painting, but they can be rather spendy. Your local landscaper may be a good source for nice, smooth, uniform rocks as well (another great tip from my dear mother-in-law!).
- Burlap bag
- Acrylic paint pens
- Sealant of choice – I used Mod Podge because I had it on hand. You could also use a spray sealant.
- Embroidery floss and needle
- Paintbrush or foam brush – If using Mod Podge sealant
How To Make A Painted Rock Tic Tac Toe Set
Begin by thoroughly cleaning your rocks in hot, soapy water. Let dry completely.
Because rocks are naturally porous, prime with a base layer of sealant. Allow to dry.
Once the sealant is dry, paint the designs of your choice on the rocks. You’ll need ten rocks altogether with five in one design and the other five in a different design. Allow the paint to dry.
Next, apply sealant of choice and allow to dry completely. The sealant will help protect the painted design as the rocks bounce around in the bag.
For the bag/board, sew a hashtag design onto the canvas bag using the embroidery floss.
Ideas For Your Own Painted Rock Tic Tac Toe Set
For my painted rock games, I made a sunflower and lavender set, a bacon and eggs set and a set of strawberries and oranges. But the possibilities are endless! Here are some other fun ideas to help personalize your own DIY tic tac toe set:
- Bees and butterflies
- Other fruit combinations such as watermelon, kiwi, lemons, limes, grapes or bananas
- Different trees or leaves
- Tulips and roses
- Vegetables like corn, tomatoes, eggplant, green beans or peppers
- Various animals such as cats and dogs, lizards, birds, bunnies, giraffes, fish or snakes
- Different colors or shapes
- Sun, stars, moons, planets or clouds
- Cactus plants
- Basketballs, footballs, baseball gloves or sports team logos
The list could go on and on, but ultimately, the things that your kids like will make for the best designs.
And don’t worry if they’re not perfect renderings. Just have fun with it! My bacon set leaves a lot to be desired, but the kids like it so that’s all that matters!
How To Make A Painted Rock Tic Tac Toe Set
- paintbrush or foam brush
- 10 rocks relatively smooth, flat and uniformly shaped work best
- acrylic paint pens
- 1 burlap bag with a drawstring
- mod podge or equivalent sealant
- embroidery floss in your choice of color
- Begin by thoroughly cleaning your rocks in hot, soapy water. Let dry completely.
- Because rocks are naturally porous, prime with a base layer of sealant. Allow to dry.
- Once the sealant is dry, paint the designs of your choice on the rocks. You’ll need ten rocks altogether with five in one design and the other five in a different design. Allow the paint to dry.
- Next, apply sealant of choice and allow to dry completely. The sealant will help protect the painted design as the rocks bounce around in the bag.
- For the bag/board, sew a hashtag design onto the canvas bag using the embroidery floss.
- Enjoy your newly created tic tac toe game!
Be sure to save this one for when your rock collection needs a makeover. Show me your rock creations in the comments or tag Ever Harc on social media!
Like this post? Share it!
Are You On the List?
SUBSCRIBE FOR EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO THE EVER HARC LIBRARY OF FREE RESOURCES!
STAY CONNECTED AND FOLLOW ME